Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Baby Einstein Recalls - BOO! HISS!

Maybe it's just me, but companies that promotes the well-being of children should know better. Carter has a handful of "favorite toys". I think all kids do. But at the top of that list is one toy he received from his Aunt for Christmas: "Baby Einstein Baby Neptune Soothing Seascape Crib Toy." It's a turtle (one of my favorite animals - who doesn't like turtles?) whose "belly" is an aquarium with swimming fish and lights that flash in blues, greens and oranges showcasing an underwater world of plants and animals. Awww...

Baby Einstein (owned by Disney) has a slogan: Trusted by Parents! Sounds good...

Then I receive an email from one of my mommy sites...

"Kids II Inc. Recalls Crib Toys Due to Choking Hazard"

OK. So, it must be one of those cheap discount toy makers...NO! It's BABY EINSTEIN!

"Name of Product: Baby Einstein Baby Neptune™ Soothing Seascape Crib Toys"

ARUGH!!!!!!!

I guess the straps on the back can come loose. No children were harmed and it's a voluntary recall. Great...then no big deal...I check the code...yep, Carter's turtle is part of the recall so I follow instructions, receive a USPS Priority Mailing Label via email, pop the battery cover in the mail and in 4-6 weeks Carter will have a brand spanky new and improved turtle back in his crib.

Then I talked to the sitter.


Carter misses his turtle. He's looking for it. He falls asleep with it. We brought it to Florida as our "home away from home" comfort toy! (Oh, and it's suppose to hang on the side of the crib - we just weren't able to mount it to the Pack n Play so you'll see him in the photo with his arm around it - we just placed it next to him - it worked...) Explain "4-6 weeks" to a five-month-old! I want him to sleep and this is a great helper - please don't take this away!!!


Oh, well. You have to wait awhile for this one, kiddo.

So then I have something else to look up and I google "Baby Einstein Recalls" - and (poor Carter) his blocks he received at his baby shower are included in a recall too.

"Kids II Recalls Baby Einstein Color Blocks Due to Violation of Lead Paint Standard"

Double ARUGH!


This photo is of him playing with, of all blocks, the BLUE BLOCK in October!!!!!! And it's the only block with a TURTLE on it! Darn those turtles! So cute, but evil...

Tomorrow I have to pop the blue block in the mail.

I'm disappointed to say the least. I mean, anyone can pick up a lead testing kit at Home Depot and learn if there is lead paint in toys - if you purchased the toy in 2007 and it was from a reputable company (I know, I followed all the recalls around the holidays too...) you'd think you were safe!


So I signed up for SEVERAL newsletters prompting me on children's recalls.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission seems to have a good daily email - I signed up for "child" products only: https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx to register...

Parents have enough to worry about. Just make our children's toys safe, please?!?!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bought this toy and the batteries inside were leaking and corroded, this seems like a serious issue since they supplied the batteries inside, tgey could have leaked into the babies crib.