Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I Need Hot Water

Do you have any idea how many times a day you use hot water when you have a child? Let me tell you, in the last 24 hours I learned it's a lot. Laundry. Dishes. Rinsing things in the sink. Using a wet washcloth to get the carrots and cookies off Spunky Baby's face and hands (he HATES cold water). And when you don't have hot water, things get tough. Sure, you can microwave a cup for some uses, but what about his bath? Or MY shower? Or the supplemental heat for the upstairs (we heat primarily with a wood stove ducted to the first floor...but it was 13 degrees last night...we need some extra heat to help warm us!)

Yesterday morning we woke up to very little hot water. It's happened before and to fix the problem we just go down into the basement and manually fire the boiler. That's what I did. Many times. Even waking up at 2 a.m. to go down and fire it to make SURE I could take a hot shower this morning. Fast-forward to 6:00 a.m. No hot water. Darn.

So the furnace guy is coming out to look at it this morning. I'm just thankful the sitter is at home and can let him in. Right now I can't imagine trying to take a morning off of work to deal with this.

"Dear Furnace Guy: Please don't call and tell me that I should come home and say goodbye because it lived a good life. I don't want a $6,000 replacement bill. Not this week..."

I'm still not out of the funk from yesterday.

Update: It was a $150 fix. No new furnace needed. Whew! I'm taking a hot shower when I get home. And Spunky Baby will get his bath. Good times!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for $150 miracles...much better than a furnace replacement. Hope you enjoyed the hot shower.

The Spunky Mommy said...

Hehehehehe. Fate is not kind. Read today's post. The guy yelled over his shoulder as he left "If this doesn't work, we'll have to talk about installing a new furnace..." Sigh...