Monday, March 31, 2008

Songs about children, pregnancy, twins?

When I was expecting Spunky Baby, there was a song on the radio that made me cry every time I heard it - The Riddle by Five for Fighting. It's a happy song - a song about the relationship between a parent and a child. I still cry when I hear it!

A good friend of mine is about to have twins - a girl and a boy. WHEEEE!!!!!!!!!

So I am putting together a basket of baby gifts. Aside from the usual stuff, I am compiling a list of songs I need to download and burn to a "Welcome Home Babies" CD for her. Over the last month or so I've heard songs and thought "I need to put that song on the CD!" Did I write them down? Of course not! Now I only have a couple of weeks before the little ones arrive.

I'm issuing a plea for help.

Help!

Here are the songs I have so far, plus some other ideas that are either “older” children songs (as they get married or move away), songs about unconditional love that make me cry, or songs about children, pregnancy, etc. I found through google searches:

  • Let Them Be Little, Billy Dean
  • Handprints on the Wall, Kenny Rogers
  • In My Daughter’s Eyes, Martina McBride
  • One Boy, One Girl, Collin Raye
  • American Child, Phil Vassar
  • Butterfly Kisses, Bob Carlisle
  • Two People Fell In Love, Brad Paisley
  • My Wish, Rascal Flatts
  • My Front Porch Looking In, Lonestar
  • When a Man Needs a Woman, Beach Boys
  • Baby Mine, lots of people such as Bette Middler
  • Daughters, John Mayer
  • Miracle, Celine Dion
  • Beautiful Boy, John Lennon
  • Thank Goodness for Kids, Kenny Chesney
  • Baby Mine, Dumbo
  • Daddy’s Hands, Holly Dunn
  • Real Life, Jeff Carson
  • Baby Shoes, Clint Black
  • Lily’s Lullaby, Clink Black
  • Baby of Mine, Alison Krause
  • Creed, Arms Wide Open
  • I Loved Her First, Heartland
  • Stealing Cinderella, Chuck Wicks
  • There Goes My Life, Kenny Chesney
  • All American Girl, Carrie Underwood
  • Ready, Set, Don’t Go, Billy Ray & Milley Cyrus
  • Father & Daughter, Paul Simon
  • You Can Close Your Eyes, James Taylor
  • When Your Love Someone, Bryan Adams

Does anyone have any other ideas? Not all of these are appropriate for her, and most are country (it's what I tend to listen to...but she listens to a lot of other stuff so I want to include a good mix.)

My goals is to make her a wonderful gift. I know a side effect will be lots of tears from a postpardum hormonal mom, but she'll still love it, right?

You know there are songs that made you cry when you were about to become a parent...and songs that make you teary today as a parent! What tugs YOUR heart strings? Please leave a comment with your suggestions!

12 comments:

MamaMonkey said...

No Place That Far by Sara Evans (sort of a love song, but it makes me think of family in general.)

Greatest Love of All by Whitney Houston

I think the song is called "Return to Pooh" or something about the Hundred Acre Wood. It's by Kenny Loggins and I've always loved it.

2 songs from Elton John: Your Song and Blessed

I'm searching through the 4100 songs in my iPod to see if anything else jumps out at me, but that's all I have for now!

MamaMonkey said...

The Kenny Loggins song is "House at Pooh Corner". I know it sounds dorky, but seriously - I love that song. It's on iTunes.

MamaMonkey said...

Ok seriously, I should be getting paid for all of this hard work.

If your friend is not into country, she probably WILL NOT like this song. That being said, I thought that you might enjoy it.

Conway Twitty - That's My Job

The Spunky Mommy said...

You are too funny! Thanks for the suggestions. Hmmm...got you thinking, didn't I?!?!

Anonymous said...

I guess all that country music you made me listen to in London rubbed off after all. I immediately thought of 'I Hope You Dance' by Lee Ann Womack when I saw your post.

erin

Anonymous said...

I know this blog is a little dated now but I have to say no one metioned "Little Little" by Jenny Morris which is actually about a mothers love for her unborn child.

Unknown said...

This blog is amazing!!!! i love all kind of songs because I think the music is like energize that is transforming our lives. I usually like to go to the places whose people are happy and enjoy their music, I thin you must to visit
costa rica investment opportunities
Is a fantastic experience.

Anonymous said...

TMI

Sensible Schizo said...

Thanks for this! Very useful.

Michelle D said...

I am dropping a couple here...(I know it's an old post but I found it helpful so I'm sure others will too)

Green by Sister Hazel
I Wish I Could by Collin Raye

I'm trying to do a video for my twins 1st birthday so this helped me. THANKS!

Amandasnv said...

What about a rock classic! "Sweet Child O'Mine" by Guns N Roses!

Robert said...

You completed a few fine points there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all persons will go along with with your blog. Natural Home Remedies