Friday, March 14, 2008

Like a Mommy Bird Feeding Her Baby Bird

Spunky Baby likes to EAT.

A lot.

He is still skinny even though he eats a lot. That could be because his little legs are always moving. Even when he sleeps! But that's OK. Maybe he has Spunky Daddy's fast metabolism and not my turtle-slow one (which is why Spunky Daddy sneezes and looses 10 lbs but I diet, exercise, and do everything "right" but still gain).

So at his six-month well-visit three weeks ago, he pediatrician starts by saying some kids don't take to solids for several months after they are introduced. She gave me the go-ahead with cereals and purees at 4 months, and we found out immediately that he likes to eat. So, she asks about a typical day. I tell her the truth and I don't think she believes me. After talking with her about what is normal for him, she give me the "thumbs up" to feed him whatever he can handle (of course, within reason), so I thought I'd share...

Spunky Baby's schedule:

7:00 - 7:30 a.m. - wake up, play until Spunky Mommy and Daddy go to work

8:00 a.m. - 8 oz bottle (formula)

8:30 - 9:30 playtime

9:30 a.m. - 3 oz pureed fruit (or sometimes fresh fruit - kiwi, watermelon, banana, etc. cut up very small), 3 oz oatmeal, 2 oz cottage cheese or yogurt, and a crunchy biscuit cookie plus a 4 oz sippy cup with water and < 1oz.

10:00 - 12:00 - naptime (2 hrs or so...)

12:00 p.m. - 8 oz bottle

12:30 - 1:00 playtime

1:00 - 4:00 - naptime (2 hrs or so - sometimes 3 in the afternoon)

4:00 or 4:30 p.m. - 8 oz bottle

playtime - Spunky Mommy gets home around 5:00ish.

6:00 p.m. - 3 oz pureed or finely cut up soft veggies (avocado is a favorite right now), 3 oz rice cereal, 2 oz cottage cheese or yogurt, and a crunchy biscuit cookie plus 4 oz sippy cup with water and < 1oz.

7:30 p.m. - final 8oz bottle

8:00 p.m. - bedtime

Lately we have a new problem with feeding Spunky Baby. I swear we cannot be in the same area code and put a bite of food into our mouth without also putting something edible into his mouth. He throws a fit and wants whatever we have. Did he hear the doctor say it was alright? What gives? Case in point: last night I was eating leftovers - Pork Chops with Onion and Mushroom Sauce. Not the type of thing I would feed to a six-month-old. I was alone with Spunky Baby and he was playing, quite contently, on the floor with his toys. The microwave buzzed and I grabbed my dinner.

He smelled it before he saw it.

His back was to me. His head was down and he was leaning over playing with blocks. When the dish came out of the microwave, I swear he sat bolt upright, whipped his head around 180 degrees and let out a pitiful whine.

I managed to get the food cut into bite-size pieces so I didn't have to go Neanderthal on my dinner, ripping meat off in chunks. But no sooner was the knife set down and the fork lifted to my mouth then I heard a terrible noise.

"Eh eh eh eh eh eh eh... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

Translated from baby-speak, that means "I want a bite too Mommy right... NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!"

Spunky Baby is quickly scooped up and propped on the couch next to me (yep, multi-tasking at its finest - I DVRed both American Idol episodes and managed to avoid hearing who got kicked off so I was watching them, eating dinner and trying to keep Spunky Baby entertained. Not easy.)

"Eh eh eh eh eh eh HMMMMMMMMMMMMM...."

I really wanted to finish my dinner (it was good!) What can he eat here? Not pork chops. But sauteed onion? Sure, why not? And I'll dip it in the cream of mushroom soup.

I put a tiny little bit on the fork and turned toward him.

Spunky Baby looked like a starving baby bird with his mouth open wide enough to drive an 18-wheeler through.


I put in the bite.

Close. Chew. Chew. Chew. Swallow. Mouth open WIDE again with "AH AH AH!" sounds emanating. My baby bird calling for his Mommy bird to feed him. Oh, how sweet.

Now, Spunky Baby has no teeth. But he has "accidentally" bit me (many times) and his jaws are STRONG. Small pieces of soft onion? No challenge there, Mom.

So, before he ate the REST of his dinner last night, Spunky Baby had about 15 bites of COM soup and onions. One bite for me, one for him. And he loved every one of them. Before I put him in his high chair to eat his real food, I gave him one last bite. It was no bigger than the size of this "0" - a piece of pork chop. I don't think he even knew it was in his mouth. Swallowed. Gone.

This kid likes to eat. Who am I to complain? Feed me, Mom, I'm yours.

Maybe I'll try beef jerky next week. Or not.
"Hey Mom, you gonna eat all that? I can take it off your hands...here, gimme that..."

5 comments:

Bananas said...

Onions??? Wow, you do have an eater on your hands. And a CUTE one, at that!

The Spunky Mommy said...

Tell me about it! Now I have to get out that baby toothpaste with the rubber gum-scrubber to help his breath...YUCK! He smelled like dead fish this morning. I love him anyway.

Anonymous said...

Izzy is a great eater too... anything and everything :)

We also can't eat a bite of anything in peace no matter when her last meal was...lol...they are soo cute!!

Erin said...

FUN. Benny had no teeth forever and always ate like a champ. And still does... and is skinny as anything! GRR...
ENJOY!

Sarahviz said...

You've won! A copy of the book The Liar's Diary from my review blog (the first name I picked never contacted me so you WIN!)

Send me your mailing address at: sarahviz@yahoo.com

(I'm glad to have picked a fellow SARAH!)